Tuesday 3 January 2017

Getting the Habit Habit

The purpose of this blog is accountability. I intend to keep a record of my struggles and success in getting into habits.  I know that I thrive on routines and habits but also, because of my tendency to take on too much, I often let them slide.

The idea that it takes 28/30 days to make a habit really doesn't work for me.  I can get into a habit quite quickly but then I can lose it or drop it months later for no apparent reason.  Hopefully committing to just writing down how I've done on each of the habits I want to develop each day will let me so what works, what doesn't and why I give up a habit or manage to keep it.

I reckon I've read every book going on habits but I might revisit them and right down the top takeaways from each.

The first step is to decide which habits I want to develop.  I'm going to start with The Miracle Morning from Hal Elrod.  I know if I do my SAVERS every morning everything else goes better.  Getting up at 5.00am is easy - that is a habit that has stuck.  Doing my SAVERs - not so.  It's lovely to get up at 5.00 and spend the time reading or doing cryptic crosswords - I love the me time.  But SAVERS is more structured an useful.

So I'm going to do this blog as a 5-10 minute review of everyday before bed.  But for now I'm off to do my SAVERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment